Watermelon is a fruit loved by many people. Its juiciness and taste are one of a kind, which leaves people craving for more.
Apart from its pleasant taste, there are lots of benefits provided by this fruit, which most people are yet to discover.
This article highlights on six health benefits of watermelon.
1. It hydrates the body. Drinking water is an essential way to keep the body hydrated. However, eating foods that have higher water content can be of great help. Watermelon has a high water content. It is known to be 92% water that helps keep the body hydrated.
2. Digestion. Although, watermelon has a high water content, it also provides some fiber. These nutrients help promote a healthy gut by preventing constipation and promoting regularity and bowel movement.
3. Also, it improves heart health. Heart disease is a number one cause of death worldwide. Lifestyle factors, such as good diet, lowers an individual’s risk of heart attack and stroke by reducing blood pressure and cholesterol levels. There are several nutrients in watermelon that have specific benefits for heart health.
4. Additionally, it is good for the skin and hair. Vitamins A and C found in watermelon are seen to be essential for the skin and hair growth. Vitamin A helps create and repair skin cells whereas C helps the body to make collagen, a protein that keeps the skin supple and hair strong.
5. It contains compounds that help prevent cancer.
6. Lastly, watermelon contains an amino acid (citrulline) that reduces muscle soreness.
Watermelon is obviously beneficial to those who consume it. In addition to its pleasant taste, it’s health benefits are second to none.
Do not hesitate to include watermelon in your diet because it offers amazing health benefits.
1. Keri J, (2018). Top 9 health benefits of eating watermelon. Healthline.com.
2. Megan W, (2019). What are the benefits of watermelon? Medicalnewstoday.com
Leave a Reply